Garden Care Team Leader
- Working For: Gardens by Anna Butterfield
We are looking for an experienced gardener with great team management and admin skills to join a developing garden design and garden care business. You will lead a small team of part-time gardeners and offer support to them as required.
The main duties will be delivering high quality, organic garden care and planting of new gardens/borders. It would be advantageous if you have worked with a garden designer before – setting out plants, planting and mulching, however this is not essential. We envisage one day a week being office-based, dealing with diary planning, admin and client liaison.
The most important skills are excellent horticultural knowledge, great communication, the ability to work alone or leading a small team, bags of enthusiasm and a can-do attitude. Strong IT skills are also required – we are a tech-enabled business and you will be required to regularly use a smartphone and online software.
Anna is an Associate member of the CiHort, as well as a pre-registered member of the SGD and an Associate Designer member of BALI, working towards full accreditation with both. She has been designing, planting and looking after gardens since 2015 and in this time has also been involved with several award-winning RHS show gardens.
This is an excellent opportunity to work with a passionate garden designer who is growing a strong brand based around low impact, stylish, practical and wildlife friendly gardens for the future.
COMPANY MISSION STATEMENT
We design, plant and nurture low impact, practical, beautiful and wildlife friendly gardens. We create places for people and planet. Our designs are led by climate conscious principles and are plant-focused. We are organic gardeners and believe that every garden requires high quality but soft-touch garden care in order to develop and thrive.
Responsibilities and Duties to include:
- All general gardening tasks including but not limited to – managing herbaceous borders; tying in climbers; pruning roses, climbers and shrubs; mowing, mulching, installing plant supports and wires.
- Preparing new borders for planting.
- Taking delivery of plant orders and other materials, using planting plans to set out plants before planting.
- Planting whole gardens and individual borders.
- Watering and mulching new plantings.
- Client liaison (verbally on-site and via email/telephone).
- Managing the garden care diary to ensure regular and seasonal visits are scheduled and kept to, and allocating time for planting projects and other ad-hoc work.
- Overseeing and supporting the other garden care team members.
- Visiting new clients in order to assist with quoting and providing a proposed maintenance schedule.
- Excellent plant and horticultural knowledge.
- A recognised horticultural qualification may be advantageous but is not essential.
- Understanding of organic and wildlife/environmentally friendly gardening.
- The role will be physically demanding so a good level of fitness is essential.
- First class customer service skills.
- Strong IT skills and ability to use a smartphone and online software daily.
- Ability to navigate and travel between jobs in a timely manner.
- Excellent time management/organisation and ability to prioritise and multi-task.
- Must be able to work on own initiative with a proactive and flexible attitude, as well as under the direction of the design team when required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – you will be liaising with the rest of the garden care team, the design team, clients and contractors.
- Ability to be flexible to meet the needs and demands of the role.
- An eye for detail, tidiness and cleanliness.
- Ability to demonstrate a passion for the company brand and mission statement.
- Experience with power tools including pedestrian mowers, strimmers, scarifiers, hedge trimers, power washers, drills etc (use of these will be limited).
- Experience with irrigation systems and water features advantageous.
- Eligible to work in the UK.
- Fluent in English.
- Full, clean UK driving licence and own vehicle. Use of company van for travel to and from client jobs.
- Own tools including but not limited to – secateurs, snips, loppers, pruning saw, variety of spades/planting tools, half moon, broom, dustpan/brush, lawn and soil rakes, wheelbarrow (some tools and equipment may be supplied).
- Registered as self-employed.
- Own public liability insurance.
If you are interested in the role please visit https://annabutterfield.co.uk/join-our-team to send us a CV and covering note, and we will be in touch to arrange an informal telephone call initially. This will be followed by an interview and a trial gardening session in Anna’s garden.
We look forward to hearing from you!