Working for : Morden College
Location : Bromley, Greater London
Department : Operations
Employment Type : Permanent – Full Time
Our most valuable resource are the people within Morden College; they provide the supportive, caring, and inclusive environment both for colleagues and for our Residents. Our culture encourages and supports creativity, celebrates our differences and the similarities that draw us together as a community and promote the highest standards of individual behaviour and accountability in everything we do.
Morden College is a charity that is dedicated to enabling a life-lived independence for the older people they provide homes for, through life, as they grow older. Morden College has enriched the lives of its residents as well as their families, over the last 300years. The Charity’s core purpose is to provide older people who are in need with a home for life within its beautiful grounds, with amazing facilities and surrounded by its caring people, who work tirelessly to provide the highest quality of care.
Assisting the Gardens Manager in ensuring that Morden College gardens and grounds at Ralph Perring Court in Beckenham and at Blackheath are maintained as safe and appealing external spaces and to promote resident wellbeing by supporting hands on gardening activities.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Mowing, using all types of mowers, including ride-on mowers.
- Edging, trimming and maintaining lawns.
- Scarifying and spiking of lawns.
- Maintenance of fine turf areas including sports areas (including hammers and putting).
- Application of lawn fertilisers, use of hosepipes and sprinklers, watering of pots and urns.
- Planting and maintaining seasonal bedding, planting and maintaining shrubs and trees, pruning of fruit trees and shrubs, propagation of hard wood cuttings and potting up.
- Rose pruning and application of rose fertilisers, removing epicormic shoots from trees.
- Leaf clearing, using leaf blowers or rakes/brooms, make and apply compost.
- Application of rock salt or other specified materials and clearing snow and ice from pathways and roadways.
- The mixing and application of chemical sprays.
- Hedge trimming using both manual and power assisted equipment, single/double digging of areas both manually and using a rotavator.
- Carrying out soft landscaping.
- Carrying out basic brick edging, laying of slabs and timber and metal edging.
- Labelling and sign writing.
- Cleaning and maintaining horticultural machinery and hand tools, tidying up Grounds Department sheds, storage and compost areas, loading and unloading of skips, containers or other delivery vehicles, maintaining garden furniture and garden features, including, cleaning and the application of preservatives.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- C&G Stage 2 Amenity Horticulture
- RHS Certificate Horticulture Level 2 Practical and Theory
- NVQ Level 3 Amenity Horticulture
- A minimum of 3 years practical experience in horticulture
- Chain saw certificate
- Mixing and use of chemicals certificate
- Spraying certificate
- H&S certificate
- Grounds maintenance
- Use of Machinery
- Soft landscaping
- Garden Planning
- Forward Planning skills
To apply follow the link : https://mordencollege.bamboohr.com/careers/81