Employer : Kilchoan Estate
Location :Oban, Scotland
Salary : Following PGG salary rates and guidelines DOE + benefits
Closing date : 27 Jul 2023
The gardener role is an intrinsic part of the team focused on the creation and maintenance of a world class garden. We are looking for gardeners who are willing to work independently and as part of the team.
The gardens & policies are made up of Himalayan & Chilean collections, ICCP tree collection, a cosmopolitan arboretum, meadows, lawns, woodlands, a walled garden, glasshouse and polytunnels, beds, borders and manicured areas around properties.
The Gardener will.
- Play a crucial role in the day-to-day operations of the garden team.
- Carryout tasks under direction of the first gardener or head of gardens.
- Ensure work is carried out to a high standard, in an efficient and safe manner.
- Relay progress, successes, and failures of work to line manager.
- Endeavour to keep all gardens and outdoor spaces clean, green, healthy and thriving.
- Take on specific responsibilities and ensure these are carried out without supervision or instruction.
Tasks carried out by the garden team include but is not limited to.
- Turf care.
- The planting and maintenance of designed gardens.
- Production of fruit, vegetables, herbs and flowers.
- Tree planting and basic care.
- Plant propagation
- Management of botanical & horticultural collections.
- Ensuring plant health and biosecurity is observed and maximised.
- Maintenance of tools and machines.
- Occasional weekend duties and assistance within other estate departments as required.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, have some knowledge of and experience in large gardens, formal qualifications such as RHS level 2 or similar, be willing to work on the west coast of Scotland in all weather conditions and most of all, a passion for horticulture.
Chemical application, chainsaw & driving license desirable but not essential.
We invest heavily in staff and are willing to support personal & professional development for the right candidate. We provide opportunity to gain industry recognised qualifications, travel within and out with the UK and engagement with outside organisations.
Please apply in writing or send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 27th July followed by online interviews week commencing 31st July. Successful candidates will be invited to the estate for a tour and face to face interviews. Ideal start date 1st September