Bedruthan Hotel and Spa TR8 4BU Newquay
We are looking for a passionate Gardener with an interest in permaculture and gardening for wildlife. In this role you will be responsible for creating gardens, a vegetable garden and a wildlife friendly habitat within our hotel gardens and grounds, including the upkeep, nurturing and planning of all of Red Hotels horticultural aspects, and introducing permaculture to our wider team. You will be responsible for driving forward change to make our gardens and grounds more wildlife friendly whilst maintaining our beautiful existing gardens.
- Landscaping & maintenance, respecting and building the local wildlife through plant selection
- Maintain boundaries, hedges, borders and plant cultivation
- Growing plants and succulents for planting and future sales
- Maintenance and efficient working knowledge of machinery such as lawn mowers, blowers, strimmers
- Forward planning for seasonal planting and grounds development according to an annual plan.
- Coordinate our gardening team with clarity through the development of a plan for our gardens with the guidance of our director that delivers wildlife regeneration on our hotel sites that we can share with guests and our team.
- Focus on sustainable practices to protect wildlife for the next generation
- Ensure what we do is fully compliant with health and safety to ensure a safe working environment
- You should love the outdoors and be passionate about gardening.
- Being coastally located, you need to embrace and enjoy the location, understanding what is needed to grow successfully in this coastal environment.
- You will make recommendations to maintain an intriguing landscape
- You will be aware of and adapt existing grounds to respect evolving horticulture such as permaculture and other sustainable practices
- It helps if you enjoy learning, reading, watching about your core area.
- You can work on your own initiative and carry out practical gardening and landscaping tasks.
- You are happy to communicate with our teams and guests.
- You enjoy working flexibly within a close knit team, to support your core area and the business as a whole.
- Gardening qualification or equivalent experience
- Can write and communicate in English.
- knowledge of plants including coastal varieties
- Willingness to continually learn and improve gardening knowledge
- Knowledge of wildlife preservation
- You are well organised & can manage the gardening team’s workload
- Ability to self-direct workload
- You are enthusiastic about gardening and are warm and engaging
- Flexible with working hours, days of week and work on a rotation across a 7 day week
As a family-owned independent Cornish business, we value every member of our talented team, and we offer a range of benefits and perks to reflect our commitment to making our hotels such a desirable place to work. These include:
- Competitive salary plus tips
- A people-centric working environment
- Learning and internal career progression opportunities
- A permanent contract with 28 days holiday per year (29 after 1 year)
- Long service scheme, enjoy a free stay at Bedruthan after your first year!
- Enjoy 40% off food and drinks, along with a range of other services throughout the hotel with our own discount scheme!
- Local partnership discounts
- Health Shield Healthcare Plan